| There has been an Observatory
associated with Glasgow University since 1757, and we presently
occupy two sites. The main observatory ('Acre Road') is close to
the Garscube Estate on the outskirts of the city. Our outstation
the big 20 inch Grubb
Parsons telescope) is located further out again, at a darker
site in the Kilpatrick Hills.
The Acre Road Observatory comprises teaching and
research labs, a workshop, the main dome housing the 16 inch Meade,
the solar dome, presently housing the 12 inch Meade, a transit
house containing the transit telescope, a 3m HI radio telescope
and a 408 MHz pulsar telescope. We also have 10 and 8 inch Meades
and several 5 inch Celestrons. There is a small planetarium beneath
the solar dome.